Pyrmont, New South Wales
Star City Casino
about the project
COMPLETE. Star City, completed in 1997, was one of the largest building projects ever carried out in Australia. Leighton Properties led the successful bid team and in December 1994 was announced by the NSW Casino Control Authority as the successful applicant for New South Wales’ first casino licence.
While the permanent casino was underway, Leighton Properties converted a nearby former shipping terminal into a temporary casino; itself a A$70.0 million project. The architects for both projects were a joint venture of the Cox Group in Australia and the US based Hillier Group, which led to a unique blending of American casino theme concepts with the needs of the Australian environment. The temporary casino was used as a ‘test bed’ for the permanent complex.
The permanent casino involved the construction of the gaming facility, hotel, serviced apartments and the associated entertainment complex - two theatres, including the 2,000 seat Lyric Theatre. Leighton also developed and built a rail corridor and station within the casino site to accommodate the new light rail system from Central Railway to Pyrmont.
Scale of project
- six tower cranes were required on site – the largest number ever used on a single construction site in NSW
- the completed project has a built area of 220,000 sqm (over 3.35 hectares)
- approximately 170,000 sqm2 of rock was excavated from the site
- a total of 110,000 cubic metres of concrete was poured along with 3,000 T of structural steel
- the main gaming floor is the size of two football fields
The development of this world class entertainment complex was
- completed in just 36 months
- employed a peak workforce of 2,000 people
- incurred a maximum rate of expenditure of A$28 million a month (1997)
Star City was awarded the prestigious Property Council of Australia Rider Hunt Award, which recognises buildings that have provided a balance between outstanding return on investment, owner and user satisfaction and a broad range of other building, commercial and services criteria.
- Main casino gaming floor of 10,800 sqm with 1,500 slot machines and 160 gaming tables
- Premium players area of 1,800 sqm with 40 gaming tables
- Operates throughout the year, 24 hours a day
- More than 4,000 staff plus suppliers and service contractors
- 12 bars and 13 restaurants, ranging from casual coffee shops to fine dining
- Banquet and meeting room facilities for 1,000 people
- 352 room 5 star hotel including a fine dining restaurant with access via external glass lifts
- 139 serviced apartments ranging from 1 – 3 bedrooms
- 2,000 seat Lyric Theatre for musicals, ballet and opera
- 900 seat Showroom Theatre for cabaret style shows
- Podium of terraced roof gardens and water features connecting Pyrmont to the harbour
- Retail arcade and food hall
- Underground parking for 2,500 cars
- Light rail station connecting all facilities by lifts
- Corridors providing views through the complex to the harbour and city
- Easy access to all public transport – light rail, bus, taxi, ferry, and monorail